Thursday, May 17, 2012

Charity Book Sale For The Brain & Behavoir Research Foundation

*Current Fragrance: Daisy from Marc Jacobs
*Currently Listening: New Attitude by Patti LaBelle


This isn't about perfume, but it sure is about making people feel better.... (Which is why I LOVE perfume in the first place!)

I finally did it! I cleaned my bookshelves! Aren't you proud? I'm actually rather proud of myself. I keep staring at the bookshelves and saying, "Man, that's a good looking bookshelf." I find the order to be rather soothing. See....

....pretty!
Now I have some book that I have loved, and need to find new and loving homes. While doing this, I figured I'd help out a cause that in my mind the very worthy: the Brain & Behavior Research Foundation. There are many horrible diseases that plague humankind today and many of them the "hot" or "in" things to donate to right now. While I'm not trying to belittle ANY type of disease, I just wanted to highlight mental illness, which is still shrouded in a great deal of stigma. The Brain & Behavior Research Foundation conducts research in the following areas: Schizophrenia, Bipolar Disorder, Depression, Autism, Anxiety, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, Alzheimer's Disease, Borderline Personality Disorder, Conduct Disorder, Depersonalization Disorder, Eating Disorders, Fragile X Syndrome, Parkinson's Disease, Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder, Schizoaffective Disorder, Schizotypal Personality Disorder, Seasonal Affective Disorder, Substance Abuse and Dependence, Suicide and Tourette Syndrome. I wont get on my soap box, but just ask to think of all of those with kindness and compassion. I'll never forget the conversation that put things into perspective for me: "It's an actual real illness. If you had a cold, you'd go to the doctor right?"


So here's how this will work.
1) Go through the list of book below. See something you want?
2) Tell me in the comments below witch book title(s) you'd like.
3) Click on this link to make a donation. I am asking for $5 per book, plus $4 (TOTAL - i.e. no mater how many books you purchase) for shipping. So, for example, three books would be a $19 donation.
4) Email me at dscharlieno5@gmail.com with your address and I will get your your books in a timely manner.


**If you are in the Boston area. I will get the books to you in person. You don't need to worry about the shipping cost. Unless you just don't want to see me. ;-)


***If you see a book you REALLY want, but just can't afford the donation costs, email me and we shall work something out.


****Don't want any books, but just want to make a donation out of the kindness of your heart? By all means, GO AHEAD!


Any books that don't find new homes through this sale will be donated to the Inpatient Unit at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center here in Boston.


I'll leave the TeamUp! account open with the Brain & Behavior Research Foundation for if I ever need to purge my DVDs, perfume, shoes or anything else.


Sooooo....Without further delay, here are the books (oh, they're not in any kind of real order of anything....just how they're stacked on the floor):


- North Carolina Tar Heels Where Have You Gone?: Phil Ford, Billy Cunningham, Eric Montross, Al Wood and Other Tar Heel Greats by Scott Fowler


- From Dawn to Decadence 500 Years of Western Cultural Life by Jacques Barzun


- Smoke: Cigars, Cigarettes, Pipes, and Other Combustibles by K.M. Kuntz


- Baroque Music by Claude V. Palisca


- Mythology by Edith Hamilton


- Friday Night Lights by H.G. Bissinger


- The Dynamic Path by James M. Citrin


- The Nasty Bits by Anthony Bourdain


- Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain


- Twilight by Stephenie Meyer


- New Moon by Stephenie Meyer

- Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer

- Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer 

- Life's Too Short Not To Live It As A Texan by Peg Hein & Kethryn Lewis 

- Bourdeau 'n Tibodeau Joke Book Number 2 by John Bergeron

- The Learners by Chip Kidd

- Frommer's 2011 Las Vegas Guide

- The Big Show: Inside ESPN's Sports Center by Keith Olbermann & Dan Patrick

- Frommer's 2007 Boston Guide

- Fans of the World Unite! A (Capitalist) Manifest for Sports Consumers by Stephen F. Ross & Stefan Szymanski

- Newcomer's Handbook for Moving To and Living In Boston (Including Cambridge, Brookline, and Sommerville) 

- Frommer's 2009 New York City Guide

- The Penguin Opera Guide Edited by Amanda Holden

- The New York Schools of Music and Visual Arts Edited by Steven Johnson

- Music Advocacy and Student Leadership by Tim Lautzenheiser

- Mozart in the Jungle: Sex, Drugs, and Classical Music by Blair Tindall

- The Music Lesson: A Spiritual Search for Growth Through Music by Victor L. Wooten

- Body Leaning: An Introduction to the Alexander Technique by Michael J. Gelb

- The Listening Book: Discovering Your Own Music by W.A. Mathieu

- The Soul's Almanac: A Year of Interfaith Stories, Prayers, and Wisdom by Aaron Zevah

- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling (Don't think we need two copies)

- Rumors a Luxe Novel by Snns Godbersen

- Johannes Brahms: A Biography by Jan Swafford

- The Art of Possibility by Rosamund Stone Zander & Benjamin Zander

- The Perfect Wrong Note: Learning to Trust Your Musical Self by William Westney

- A Coloring Book of Great Composers: Mahler - Stravinsky

- The Woodwind Player' Cookbook: Creative Recipes for a Successful Performance

*****No, I am not getting rid of all of my music books. :-) I just don't need THESE anymore.

Please, please, PLEASE feel free to share the link to this entry with anyone you think might be interested!

HAPPY BOOK BROWSING AND DONATING!!!!

*Currently Listening: Philosophy by Ben Folds Five 

No comments:

Post a Comment