Monday, February 6, 2012

Valentines Day Fragrance Guide for The NON-Ooey-Gooey-Lovey-Dovey Set

*Currently Listening: "You Learn" by Alanis Morissette
*Current Fragrance: Not a perfume; but my hair smells of the Jasmine and Henna Fluff Eaze mask (so jasmine & ylang-ylang) and my apartment smells of the Baies candle that's burning.


I'm just going to go out there and say it: I'm not the biggest fan of Valentines Day. (OK, aside from the SweeTart hearts, which to me are the Holy Grail of SweeTarts...it's a texture thing.) "But Kathleen!" you plea, "You should be all over the Valentines Day thing...you're like...married!" Awwww... that's cute. Now...let me offer up my list of Valentines Day objections.

1) It's just one day...you should really love, treasure, and cherish that special someone every day of you life. That, and Al & I really choose to make a bigger deal out of our Wedding Anniversary. (Yes, last year we went to Philly and spent  1/2 the day at the National Constitution Center; that's just US OK. We're uber-nerds...can ya dig?)

2) Until Al and I got together, I never had a "significant other" on Valentines Day, so I feel I would be turning my back on my former self! Considering Al and I were "officially" together starting when I was 22, and people started "pairing up" (in my hazy memory) when I was ohhhhh....8. Yeah, that's 14 years of my life that I just can't turn my back on.

3) A good majority of my friends are single, and I just don't want to be That Disgustingly-Happy-Lovely-Dovey-In-Their-Face-Married-Friend.

4) I'm a big believer if you want to treat yourself, do it! Don't wait for a man or a woman to get it for you, get it yourself!

5) Hello, have we met?! I like to mock....Just. About. Everything!

That being said, if you are looking for some honest to good fragrance shopping suggestions for Valentines Day, you'll actually find some in this post. You'll just have to put on your waders to get through the sass.  However for an entire post devoted to them, check out EauMG's 2012 Valentines Day Gift Guide.

Thinking of buying perfume for your beloved? Ari, at The Scents of Self, will help you with How To Buy Someone Perfume for Valentines Day. In another post she cautions as to why red roses are a bad idea (don't get my wrong - I love me some roses...but for me, WHITE. They are my favorite!) and suggests some beautiful rose fragrances instead. All you need to do it click HERE!

Now, onto the main event!

Don't have someone to buy you flowers or are perhaps disenchanted by fresh flowers fleeting nature? Frederic Malle's Carnal Flower smells like you've been hanging out in a florists shop. (Hopefully not his.) It is GLORIOUSLY beautiful! (As in "shut the front door (to the flower shop)" stunningly gorgeous!)



How about a little Valentines Day time travel? Check out Histories de Parfums library of scents. For the ladies: you can be George Sand, Eugenie di Montijo, Colette or Mata Hari. For the gentlemen: how about being Casanova, Marquis de Sade or Jules Verne for the day? (I should also point that there is the availability to put together some awesome sample sets on their website!) Given the options, I think I'd channel Colette!

Colette: 1873


Feeling a little randy and adventurous!? Go out and get yourself in the good kind of trouble; be it real life or olfactory! Etat Libre d'Orange has some supper "fun" options with Secretions Magnifiques (It has to be awesome...I mean, there's coconut in there Which IS close to pineapple, and you know what they say about pineapple....) and Don't Get Me Wrong Baby, I Don't Swallow. Come one!!!! The conversation in the bar would be OUTSTANDING! Just imagine...

Guy in the bar, "Hey there sweet thang...you smell purdy! What is that?"
You, "Don't Get Me Wrong Baby, I Don't Swallow..."
...and you wouldn't be lying....

Moving on......

Feeling so lonely that you're singing "nobody likes me / everybody hates me / think I'll go eat worms..."? STOP! DON'T DO IT! You can just smell like them!  Also, if you're thinking of smoking away your Valentine's Day woes, perhaps I can tempt you with a much more legal alternative; because no, I don't have bail money. I spent it all on perfumes and purses!



One last thing! This sort of breaks on of my self-imposed rules, but I'm going to do it anyway because it's perfect! Poking a voodoo doll full of pins is great and all. (I mean, so I've heard...I've never, EVER done that....never....promise....sometimes I lie....) But wouldn't it be great while watching your Ex literally melt away (AFTER ripping off his/his limbs) to enjoy the lovely scent of cotton candy fizzing about in the bath? Check out The Ex-Factor Bath Bomb!


So that's it! Happy or UnHappy upcoming Valentine's Day!
My moral of the story...don't take it all so seriously! :-D

*Currently Listening: "Shake Your Rump" by The Beastie Boys

**Photo Credits (in order): operationshirt.com, fredericmalle.com, histoiresdeparfums.com, luckyscent.com & dementerfragrance.com


1 comment: