Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Prefumed Primary Project: Arizona & Michigan

Current Fragrance: Saguaro Cactus La Vida Latina from Demeter Fragrance Library
Currently Listening: "Blister In the Sun" by Violent Femmes

Before we get started, I have a little confession to make: I currently am an ENORMOUS cliche'! Why you ask? You see, I had a two hour window today between getting off of work and my dinner plans, so I thought I'd fill my time by writing today's No Disassemble Charlie No. 5 in that gap. I'm sitting in a Starbucks on my laptop, blogging. I'm now one of "those" people. Yup, an enormous cliche'. Wonder if I'm going to get any strange looks when I pull blotters and bottles from my purse and start sniffing....

It's primary day in both Arizona & Michigan. It's been a while since the last installment of the Perfumed Primary Project, and I'm still trying to wrap my head around how exactly I'm going to handle Super Tuesday next week without having the longest blog entry known to mankind, but I supposed that's another problem for another day.

The Grand Canyon State
The Great Lakes State

First up, Arizona and the Saguaro Cactus Blossom. I was pretty skeptical on finding this as an element in a perfume, so I went straight to the Demeter Fragrance Library's website and found it there!

Saguaro Cactus Blossom

I like Demeter, it's quite fun! I mean, where else can you find perfumes that smells of "singular scents" such as Clean Windows, Holy Smoke and Tiger Lily and it not smell like complete rumpus! (Note to self, some fragrance combining with this line could yield some interesting results.) I really enjoyed wearing the Saguaro Cactus today, it was light and effervescent, and honestly reminded me a lot of Demeter's Gingerale that I went through quite a few bottles of in later undergrad/early Master's days. It's not earth shattering, and isn't going to change the face of fragrance forevermore (oops, sorry I just gave a death stair to a 3 year old rolling on the floor in front of my table), but sometimes fragrance can just be fun and light. I wonder how close it smells to the actual Saguaro Cactus blossom? Any readers in the dessert want to sent me one??? Wait, that's probably against the law. Moving on to colder climates.....

Michigan's state flower is the Apple Blossom. For this I went with Marc Jacob's Daisy Eau So Fresh, that is one of the CUTEST BOTTLES EVER. I think all the Marc Jacob's (well, the Daisy's and the Lola's are ADORABLE!)

Apple Blossom

The Marc Jacob's website lists MJDESF's notes as the following: (top) natural raspberry, grapefruit, pear; (middle) violets, wild rose, apple blossom; (base) musks, cedarwood & plum. It's light, fluffy and kind of effervescent - yet not nearly as Demeter's Saguaro Cactus. I quite like MJDESF, actually a good deal more than the original Daisy. Reed Making Warrior wears it from time to time,  I gave it in a set w/ Daisy and Lola to the Non Nordic Avocado for her birthday last year, and bribed my sister with a roller ball of it for happy cooperation when shopping for job interview clothes for her when I was down in SETX for her Quarter Life Crisis last fall. If you like something that's light floral, clean, with a smidge of fruit - this is worth a sniff. Again, not going to change the world, but it makes me smile.



*Currently Listening: Joy to the World by Three Dog Night

**Photo Credits: 1) http://nostalgia.esmartkid.com 2) zazzle.com 3) statesymbolsusa.org 4) history.com 5) demeterfragrance.com 6) sephora.com

2 comments:

  1. I actually thought about you this morning as I was going to spritz on some body spray and then remembered I couldn't. Noah's school is fragrance-free. As in... no perfumes or smelly body sprays. And if the particular teacher that has a fragrance allergy smells a strong lotion, shampoo or even laundry detergent on you as you pass her by, she will call you out on it. I was just thinking, "Kathleen would SO HATE going to this school."

    ReplyDelete
  2. HUGE congratulations to you! your blog is amazing. Brazilian
    Blowout Shampoo

    ReplyDelete