Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Top 20 Perfumes of 2011: A Scents of Self Project

*Current Fragrance: Fire Island by Bond No. 9
*Currently Listening: Beat It by Michael Jackson

Photo Credit: thescentsofself.com
Once again, the young Ari at Scents of Self is wise beyond her years! In an effort to stave off perfume snobbery, as well as getting a clear grasp on the widespread appeal of these scents; she is embarking on a quest to review the top 20 selling perfumes in 2011 in the US and asking the perfume blogging world to play along! Actually, anyone can play - just keep reading.

Also, thanks to Bois de Jasmin for posting the top 20 list!

In the weeks to come, I will be reviewing these twenty fragrances (actually 21 - Taylor Swift and the Biebs just cant seam to be separated). Here's the list:

1. Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel (This was the number one best seller after this the rest of the list is in no particular order.)

2. Angel by Thierry Mugler

3. Aromatics Elixir by Clinique
 
4. Beautiful by Estee Lauder

5. Body by Burberry

6. Candy by Prada
 
7. Cashmere Mist by Donna Karan

8. Chance by Chanel  


9. Chance Eau Fraiche by Chanel
 
10. Chance Eau Tendre by Chanel

11. Chanel No. 5
 
12. Fan Di Fendi by Fendi

13. Happy by Clinique

14. J'Adore by Dior
 
15. Knowing by Estee Lauder

16. Light Blue by Dolce and Gabanna 


17. Pleasures by Estee Lauder

18. Romance by Ralph Lauren

19. Sensuous Nude by Estee Lauder

20. Wonderstruck by Taylor Swift / Someday by Justin Bieber

Clearly this is going to take me a little time to wade through. Starting this coming Monday, the plan (sample availability permitting) is to work my way through them in alphabetic order, but saving Coco Mademoiselle for last. My thought is that after smelling twenty other fragrances, perhaps I can discern as to why Coco Mademoiselle tops the list.

I'll be taking breaks for the Perfumed Primary Project and will be doing (my already slated) Calice Becker Week from 2/20 through 2/24; I'll do my review of J'Adore then. I've already spoken of Fan Di Fendi for the South Carolina installment of the Perfumed Primary Project, but I'll give it a proper review when its' time comes.

 However, I do have one enormous mental roadblock for this process: what am I going to do when Chanel No. 5 takes its' place in the pipeline for review? To understand this, you REALLY need to read  No. Disassemble Charlie No. 5's very first entry. I'm actually scared that my Granny's going to come back from the beyond to have words with me because I have Chanel No. 5 on my skin before I'm 50 and by default am no longer a lady. I just can't deal with those kinds of consequences. Would, "But Granny! It's for RESEARCH!!!" be an acceptable excuse? How would you guys navigate this issue? Anyone in the Boston area wanna donate their skin to me and Chanel No. 5 sometime near the beginning of March?

I'm also really interested in what you have to say about the Top 20 of 2011 lovely readers! Do any of you regularly wear these scents? Even better if one of them is your signature scent please speak up in the comments section. Conversely, has anyone every bought or have been gifted any of these because they were "hot fragrances" and ended up not being their cup of tea, please speak up as well!

I'm really looking forward to this project...YAY!

Before I forget...congratulations to Jena for winning the Florida Perfumed Primary Project / Harry Potter Trivia / Nail Polish Giveaway.

Q: What is the English translation of the Hogwarts school motto: Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus?

A: Never Tickle A Sleeping Dragon

Congrats Jena! You get a video in your honor....wait for it....




*Currently Listening: Man in the Mirror by Michael Jackson








1 comment: