Monday, March 25, 2013
Make Mine Music
Is that not the cutest cat image...EVER!?!?!? Moving on...my past two entries have been a bit on the heavier side - subject mater wise. So today, I wanted to do something lighter: a list of my favorite Ass-kicking, Confidence Building, Soul Affirming songs (40 of them to be exact). Two degrees and one performance diploma in clarinet gets you a list of some deliciously diverse pop songs!
Here they are, in no particular order.....
(...don't forget to enjoy the YouTube links!)
1) Lose Yourself by Eminem: How can this song NOT get you 400 kinds of pumped up. I remember I used to listen to this while I was getting ready for Juries (read private lesson finals).
2) On Top of The World by Imagine Dragons: This is just so damned celebratory! How can it not make you feel good about well...EVERYTHING!?!?!
3) Ready or Not by Bridgit Mendler: This song always plays during my Barre Blast class. It's infectiously bubbly and pure pop goodness.
4) It's a Long Way to the Top (If You Wanna Rock 'N' Roll) by AC/DC: "I'll tell you folks / it's a lot harder than it looks." Great sentiment for an journey or challenge, and it's freaking AC/DC!
5) Epic by Faith No More: Just because it is.
6) It's My Life by No Doubt: This cover came out during a very traumatic time in my life. I used to HATE it with a fiery-fiery passion. I would scream every time I heard it and demand it be turned off. A few months ago something finally flipped an it has become my own little anthem of personal perseverance.
7) Let's Have a Kiki by Scissor Sister: No matter how much ass-kicking and confidence you've got going on, life's just going to get to you. In instances like that, they know EXACTLY what you need....
8) How You Like Me Now by The Heavy: This is James Brown struttin' down the street, middle finger up in the air. Enough said.
9) Head Like a Hole by Nine Inch Nails: This has always been a very, "get your mind in the zone" type of song.
10) Can't Hold Us Down by Christina Aguilera featuring Lil' Kim: The album Stripped is one of my favorite albums...ever - true story. This song makes me feel all kinds off bad ass with a double side of sass! I love this it tackles the sexual double standard with some "dope rhymes" Thanks Lil' Kim!
11) Free Your Mind by En Vogue: To me, this is the ULTIMATE Diva song! If I'm in the mood to get a little sexy sway on, this playing in my ear buds FOR SURE! *Free your mind and the rest will follow* Words to live by!
12) It's Time by Imagine Dragons: A happy and deliciously infectious was to get myself off my ass.
13) I Don't Give A by Madonna featuring Nicki Minaj: For tuning out the rest of the world, doing your own thing, just not giving a care in a positive way.
14) Ruff Ryders' Anthem by DMX: This song reminds me of undergrad. I like DMX way more than a lily white girl probably should. So incredibly testosterone laden...how can it not get you 400 kinds of pumped up!?!?
15) A Good Day's Work by Deb Talan: Cuddling sonic affirmations. Plus there's actually clarinet in there!
16) Hold On by Wilson Phillips: I'm old enough to remember this song when originally was released, but I was THRILLED (and was laughing so hard I was crying) when it made its way into the end of Bridesmaids. Cheesy? Oh hell yes! Good to belt out into your hairbrush for some life affirming, confidence boosting catharsis? Abso-fucking-lutely!!!
17) Firework by Katy Perry: Ms. Perry holds a special place in my marriage. Wait...that sounds WAY weirder than it actually is! This song boots both my confidence and my desire to wear outfits that resemble characters in Candy Land. I've found myself singing this into my flat iron plenty of times.
18) Kashmir by Led Zeppelin: One word - EPIC! Last thing I listen to before I swim.
19) 'Till I Collapse by Eminem & Nate Dogg: How does Eminem know EXACTLY to keep my ass going?
20) Carry On by Fun.: I do really good until the lyric, *may your past be the sound / of your feet upon the ground / carry on* then I'm a blithering mess of tears...mixed with a little steely eyed angst.
21) Hall of Fame by The Script featuring will.i.am: I heard this song on an episode of The Biggest Loser. I reacted instantly with tears and KNEW I had to download it. If this song doesn't appeal to you one SOME level, than I question if you actually have a pulse. Best lyric? *You can walk straight through Hell with a smile.*
22) Fighter by Christina Aguilera: Saying thank you to our adversaries in the most bad-ass of ways.
23) Scream by Michael & Janet Jackson: My favorite middle finger song.
24) Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You) by Kelly Clarkson: I've found myself almost singing this out loud on the T. Side note...this song sounds like it's about a romantic relationship gone bad, but it doesn't have to be...
25) Girl on Fire by Alicia Keys: This has turned into my little "theme song" for the journey I'm on. I love that the song goes through a woman's journey. If you listen to the Inferno Remix, and Nicki Manaj's opening rap, this journey started for me a LONG time ago.
26) Hearts on Fire by John Cafferty: Best of all the songs from any of the Rocky movies, hands down! It it's good enough to help Rocky beat Drago, it's good enough for your to beat whatever you're up again. Most. Motivational. Song. EVER!
27) Survivor by Destiny's Child: No explanation needed.
28) Warrior by Ke$ha: I love the glitter and trashbag-edness that is Ke$ha! This song makes me want to box. Don't know why. It just does.
29) Extraordinary by Liz Phair: *Average, Everyday, Sane, Psycho, Super goddess* Can I be all those things, please?
30) Vanity by Christina Aguilera: Thank you to my darling Pretty Pretty Princess for turning me on to this song. The first line says it all...and then some!
31) Fly by Nicki Minaj & Rihanna: This song makes you want to just lay on your back with arms outstretched and then get up and go kick some serious ass once its over.
32) Dream On by Aerosmith: How could this song NOT be on this list?
33) Immigrant Song by Led Zepplin: Simply rock.
34) Bulls On Parade by Rage Against the Machine: This list would be completely incomplete without some Rage. Plus there's my crush on Tom Morello. Also remember, it is the music of my people.
35) Mama Said Knock You Out by LL Cool J: This lady DOES love Cool James. Also, this makes me want to hit things in a very constructive workout-y way. It works!
36) Killing In The Name by Rage Against the Machine: More Rage. More leftist testosterone laden rock! Do I need to explain anymore why this works for me?
37) Thunderstuck by AC/DC: This makes me want to rumble. If I rumbled. You get my point.
38) Crazy Bitch by Buckcherry: Have we met?
39) You Can Do It by Ice Cube: Song for the best dance scene in all of moviedom! (Save The Last Dance) And just remember, *you can do it / put back/ass into it*!
40) Best of You by Foo Fighters: Great song to end with to make you think! *Were you born to resist or be abused?...I swear I'll never give in / I refuse.*