Monday, April 16, 2012

Musical Monday: It's All Coming Back to Me Now (Calice Becker Week - Day 1)

*Current Fragrance: Tommy Girl
*Currently Listening: It's All Coming Back to Me Now by Celine Dion






Up until about 30 minutes ago, I hadn't smelled Tommy Girl in about 14 years. I've had a little bottle of it that I bought at my neighborhood CVS that I had been waiting to open until today. Once on my skin, I was INSTANTLY transported to my Senior year of High School (I was going into my Sr. Year the year it was released). My brain went, "it smells like wanting to get OUT!"

I'm getting ahead of myself! Hold on, I can explain...

It's Calice Becker week here on No Disassemble Charlie No. 5! It's safe to say that she is my favorite perfumer. Every day this week, we'll be looking at a different once of her fragrance. There are three of her fragrances that I have a very strong emotional attachment to, and I'll be detailing those stories throughout the week; as well as entrees about two of her other fragrances. Tommy Girl is one of the three with strong emotional attachment. Yes... I've already cried once....

 Now let's explore...

Calice Becker
What does Tommy Girl smell like? You can click on the link for the notes list, but that's not what this entry is about. Plus, I'm going to be selfish and put my foot down. I really don't want to over think things now that I've had this VERY STRONG emotional reaction to it.

 It smells like Celine Dion, Alanis Morissette, Jewel and Joan Osborne sound. It smells like walking down the halls of BCHS. It smells like being PISSED at my parents that I was going to have to stay in SETX for college and desperately trying to hatch a plan to transfer after 2 years. (Granted, I waited a little longer than two years, and when I did...I didn't really "transfer" I jumped ship in SPECTACULAR fashion!) It smells like crying over the boy that I liked who didn't like me back. It smells like maybe...just maybe we were all starting to grow up a little and the cliques were starting to dissolve. It smells like cutting articles for my Extemporaneous Speaking box in Mrs. Miller's classroom. It smells like eating Burger King tater-tots dipped in BBQ sauce on the way into school with the neighborhood kids I car-pooled to school with. It smells like Casa Ole. It smells like my first "job-job" teaching twirling at a local dance studio. It smells like running through the Dillard's at Central Mall with my best friend, thirty minutes before close because we couldn't get there any sooner because of marching band practice, and trying to find a dress for some event.

But still...it smells like wanting to get OUT!

DAMN IT! NOW I'M CRYING.....AGAIN!!!!

I wish I could take a survey of all the ladies in the USA that graduated from High School in 1997 and ask them how many owned a bottle of Tommy Girl, because quite honestly the five scents I remember from that time are as follows: 1) Tommy Girl, 2) Bath and Body Works Sun Ripened Raspberry, 3) Bath and Body works Cucumber Melon, 4) sun-screen and 5) hair spray.

I honestly was not expecting this strong of a reaction when smelling Tommy Girl again. That's one of the things I love the most about fragrance though, it's ability to so quickly transport you to a place you thought you had forgotten.

*Currently Listening: Killing Me Softly With His Song by The Fugees
**Photo Credits: 1) fragrantica.com & 2) fless.ru

1 comment: